Microsoft Interview Experience for Experienced SDE - 1, Sep 2019
Online Coding Test
This was the coding round which consisted of three coding questions and time limit was of 75 minutes.The platform used was Co-Cubes. 3 questions were asked of 2, 3 and 5 marks respectively with varying difficulty.
Given a positive integer n, round it to nearest whole number having zero as last digit.
Input : 4722
Output : 4720
Input : 38
Output : 40
Input : 10
Write a function that calculates the day of the week for any particular date in the past or future. A typical application is to calculate the day of the week on which someone was born or some other special event occurred.
Given a linked list and two integers M and N. Traverse the linked list such that you retain M nodes then delete next N nodes, continue the same till end of the linked list.
Difficulty Level: Rookie
M = 2, N = 2
Linked List: 1->2->3->4->5->6->7->8
Linked List: 1->2-&g...
- The interviewers were very friendly and knowledgeable and try to understand your solution, rather impose theirs on you, unlike certain companies.
- The NUMBER ONE thing interviewers were looking for was CONFIDENCE. Almost everyone shortlisted had superb knowledge of computer science, but if he/she could not speak confidently, or stayed quiet during the interviews, they were rejected on the spot! Even people who had the highest score after group fly and had completed the HR round first were rejected due to this.
- It’s okay to make mistakes during the interviews, they’re there to correct and help you, but its more important to keep talking and let the interviewer know what is going on in your head the whole time.
- Keep talking about your thought process and telling the interviewer what is going on in your head. Don’t sit idle.
- Always inform them of any assumptions and your language preferences you make before coding and then proceed. Always try to include Corner Cases.They are very important.
- Yeah and one thing, except the online coding round, ALWAYS write comments while coding. I repeat, always write comments for anything you do. It matters a lot, especially for the group fly round.
- Prepare 2-3 questions for the interviewer for each round. Its better if its related to the company, JD and shows your interest in them.
- You should know each and everything written on your resume. You can be asked to elaborate on anything in detail. Don’t write anything you can’t speak for ~5 minutes.
- Important subjects include DSA, DBMS, OOPS, OS, TOC and to some extent Networks. Disciplinary Electives are very important too.
- *Vital Info – Co-Cubes displays only 3 test cases and rest are all hidden. So try to make your code as efficient and optimal as you can, including all the corner cases.
- Try practicing coding on a computer as well as on paper. You’ll understand the nuances of the code better.
- Internships! Try getting a summer internship. The work that you’ll do there will be an important talking point in your resume. If you get a PPO, then chill, else experience is still very valuable. Resume is very important and please spend more time on writing it properly.