According to PayScale, the average Data Scientist gets paid an average of $96,976 per annum. This is a very alluring package even after taking Data Science professionals with massive experience into account. Similarly, in India, Data Scientists enjoy respectable salaries and there is a lot of demand in this domain. There are massive MNCs such as Amazon, Google, Microsoft, IBM and many more that are in dire need of skilled Data Scientists. Most of these companies pay their Data Scientists handsomely. According to Analytics India, about 1400 Data Science professionals get salaries of more than Rs. 1,00,00,000. 79% of these professionals have more than 15 years of work experience but we can evaluate how well this industry pays its veterans from this information.
Let us find out what the average Data Scientist salary in India is and let us also cover the different salaries Data Scientists earn based on various factors. In every sector, one gets compensated based on their skills and experience, however, other factors such as location and the employer make a difference as well.
Data Scientist Salaries in India
According to PayScale, the average Data Scientist salary in India is Rs. 8,54,985 per annum. From this median, we also find out that 10% of all the salaries (3,548 salaries) taken into account are close to Rs. 3,47,000 per annum while 90% of the salaries are close to Rs. 20,00,000 per annum.
Now, based on experience, PayScale gives us some insight into the salaries Data Science professionals are earning.
Here are the average salaries based on experience (per annum):
- Freshers or less than 1 year of experience (537 salaries): Rs. 5,57,212
- 1 to 4 years of experience (2474 salaries): Rs. 7,95,021
- 5 to 9 years of experience (858 salaries): Rs. 14,21,647
- 10 to 19 years of experience (235 salaries): Rs. 17,53,819
Now, according to Glassdoor, the average Data Scientist in India earns an average of Rs. 10,00,000 per annum, based on 4,811 salaries. Meanwhile, a Senior Data Scientist can earn an average of Rs. 19,00,000 annually. Similarly, Big Data professionals earn an average of Rs. 8,00,000 per annum.
Data Scientist Salary Based on Cities
Here are the various Data Scientist salaries based on different Indian cities:
- Mumbai: Rs. 8,23,692 per annum
- Bangalore: Rs. 9,95,810 per annum
- Chennai: Rs. 8,00,687 per annum
- Pune: Rs. 7,79,446 per annum
- Hyderabad: Rs. 8,63,139 per annum
- Kolkata: Rs. 6,90,000 per annum
According to Glassdoor, the average Data Scientist salary in Mumbai and Chennai is Rs. 10,00,000 annually. Meanwhile, their Calcutta, Pune and Bangalore counterparts earn a median of Rs. 8,00,000, Rs. 9,00,000 and Rs. 11,00,000 per annum respectively.
Data Scientist Salary Based on Companies
Here is the typical Data Scientist salary in India based on various employers:
- Accenture: Rs. 10,00,000 per annum
- TCS: Rs. 7,02,283 per annum
- IBM: Rs. 10,90,666 per annum
- Microsoft: Rs.17,08,700 per annum
- Google: Rs. 14,12,256 per annum
- Amazon: Rs. 15,37,839 per annum
- Cognizant: Rs. 8,90,199 per annum
- Wipro: Rs. 9,52,881 per annum
- Infosys: Rs. 8,33,547 per annum
- J. P. Morgan: Rs. 19,26,965 per annum
- Paypal: Rs. 18,79,087 per annum
- Oracle: Rs. 12,16,773 per annum
- Adobe: Rs. 22,48,126 per annum
- Walmart: Rs. 25,67,381 per annum
- Capgemini: Rs. 9,29,528 per annum
7 Necessities for Higher Salary Packages
Here are some factors that can help you bag better salary packages:
- Programming expertise in languages such as R, Scala or even Python.
- Experience working in real-world projects or experience working in deployed models.
- Expertise in Machine Learning or Artificial Intelligence with certifications.
- Cloud Computing and Cloud Architect skills.
- Distributed File Systems such as Hadoop and non-relational databases such as MongoDB and NoSQL. This is alongside the SQL knowledge that is required alongside experience working with MySQL or MariaDB.
- Data Infrastructure and a good understanding of data requirements along with a solid understanding of System Design in order to collaborate with developers.
- SAS, Tableau and other tools.
Others Factors That Influence Salaries
Some other factors that can influence salary packages other than location and experience are as follows:
- Job role: Salaries also depend on the specific job role or how much fieldwork is required for the Data Scientist. For example, in a project where drones must be used to map land or plots, Data Scientists might be required on-site to oversee the data that is being collected. Also, Data Scientists who are tasked with building Data Models or taking care of infrastructural requirements are paid more handsomely.
- Sub-domain: Specific domains such as Big Data, Data Engineering, Data Architecture and Artificial Intelligence pay extremely well, as compared to traditional Data Processing, Data Warehousing and Data Mining jobs. Data Analytics is another associated domain that pays well. Now, each sub-domain has its own job roles, thus, salaries might also depend on these factors.
- Internal Employment or Employment by the third party: For example, a Data Scientist working on a project for an external client (outsourcing) would earn less than a Data Scientist working for internal projects.
Do I need a degree to become a Data Scientist?
Yes, a degree is definitely useful when aspiring to be a Data Scientist, however, with the required skills, one can become an intern before graduating as well.
What is the average Data Scientist salary in India for freshers?
The average Data Scientist salary in India for freshers per month is Rs. 46,434, based on 537 salaries.
Are Data scientists the highest paying jobs?
Data Scientists are one of the highest-paying jobs in the industry, especially in the IT and ITes sectors. In order to check out the personal salary experiences of Data Scientists in India, you can search ‘Data scientist salary in India?’ on Quora.
What is the average Amazon Data Scientist Salary per month in India?
The Amazon Data Scientist salary in India is an average of Rs. 1,28,153 per month.
Can I become a data scientist with no experience?
One can become a Data Scientist without experience but one must have the necessary skills. Additionally, experience with deployed projects is quite helpful in order to get employed without extensive training.
What is the salary of experienced Data Scientists in India?
Data Scientists with 5 to 9 years of experience earn an average of Rs. 14,21,647 per annum in India.
What is the average Google Data Scientist Salary per month in India?
A Data Scientist in Google earns an average of Rs. 1,17,688 per month in India.
What is the average Data Scientist salary in Canada?
Data Scientists earn an average of C$79,744 per annum in Canada.
What is the average Data Scientist salary per month in the USA?
Data Scientists earn an average of $6264 per month in the United States of America.
Data Science professionals get handsomely and it is an incredibly interesting sector to be a part of. This domain experiences a lot of innovation and more opportunities open up for Data Scientists every day. Veteran Data Scientists get the opportunity to earn huge salary packages while freshers are rewarded handsomely (compared to other domains) by their employers as well. With the introduction of more technologies into this domain, freshers now have the opportunity to learn new skills and increase their salaries, prospects, or both.