Want to build applications but, don’t want to get into the complexities of Java or take the burden of learning a new language? Or find Python easy but hear, it is not for app development? Well, it is possible! Yes, you heard it right. But the fact is that not many people know about it.
Now you are certainly going to be one, who knows it!
There has always been a state of perplexment among coders, with python not supporting application development. Python has always been the top choice of developers, due to its hassle-free syntax and ease of debugging. And nearly in all fields, development with Python is possible.
Read about 10 Open-Source Python Libraries You Should Know in 2021
Whether it is Web Development, Game Designing, building AI/ML models; python has always been a helping hand. But we would get to see grumpy faces of coders when they would think of developing an app using Python.
So marking an end to all that, Python has introduced libraries for building applications. Let’s see some popular application building frameworks and libraries of python.
Application Development Frameworks in Python
Let us look at some popular Python frameworks for developing mobile and web applications.
1. KIVY: It is an open-source Python library especially formulated, to develop mobile applications and other multi-touch applications software. Its initial Beta version was released in 2011 and later in 2019, we got to see its final stable version. It is written in Python and Cython, and its founding fathers are from Russia.
Using Kivy, we can create applications, they can easily on Windows, Linux, IOS, Rasberry Pi as well as Android. It supports GPU acceleration of its graphics, as they are building OpenGL ES2. Kivy depends on many Python libraries, such as GStreamer, PIL, Cairo, among others.
Kivy supports Natural User Interface or NUI. It is an interface, which has been designed keeping in mind the user can easily learn how to use software with little guidance. Kivy’s widgets are custom drawn and they don’t attempt to use native controls or widgets.
This is the reason why Kivy applications will look the same, across all the platforms, but they will differ from other native applications of the user. Some applications/projects created on the KIVY platform are-: AirHawking, 2048, Ants Pop, Angry-Blocks, 100 Days of Fitness.
Ready to start learning Python Foundation with Data Structures For Free?
2. CherryPy: It is an open-source framework of python, for building web applications. It has features like a setup framework, thread-pooled web server, and the module framework is also capable of implanting its multi-strung server. CherryPy does not demand you to use any specific Object Relational Mapper (ORM) or template engine.
It allows developers to utilise various technologies for templating and data accessing by using just properties and methods. One can similarly build web applications, as one would build any other object-oriented program. This design results in less time and the code development is also quite readable. CherryPy is being used for production purposes by many sites, for the past ten years and has proven to be fast and reliable.
Some applications/projects created on the CherryPy platform are gutenberg.org, merchantcircle.com, diva.solutions
3. BeeWare: It is another popular framework that provides us a set of tools, that let you write applications in Python. These codes are rich in native-user interface and allow cross-compilation for deployment on several operating systems, like macOS, Windows, Linux GTK, Android,tvOS, and iOS. BeeWare’s main repositories are updated regularly to provide stable customer support offering services like training, consulting, and technical support.
4. Django: It is a popular, high-level Python Web framework that supports the development of web applications. It is free and open-source and extremely popular among developers. It supports the hassle-free creation of complex codes, websites, and web apps.
Django is a server-side framework with all supported features. It procures fast development of websites, offers great security features, and supports maintenance. Some of its features to look out are-: database schema migration, ORM implementation, and authentication mechanism.
Some applications created on the Django platform are Instagram, Dropbox, Spotify, Disqus
5. FLASK: It is a third-party Python library used for developing web apps and ideal for small projects. It is written in Python and developed on Werzeug and Jinja 2. It is considered highly reliable by the developers, due to its features like support for RESTful request dispatching, integrated testing, etc.
It is a micro-framework because it does not use any particular tools and libraries for development purposes, like database abstraction, form validation, etc. However, there are extensions that exist for supporting these purposes.
Some applications created on the Flask platform are Airbnb, Airflow, Reddit, Netflix
6. Web2Py: It is yet another popular cross-platform framework of Python, for mobile application development. It is loaded with a debugger, and a deployment tool, that helps in writing the codes effectively, along with testing the application.
It is compatible with other operating systems like Android, Windows, Linux, Mac, etc. It is attributed to the Model View Controller design approach. Its ticketing framework, a component that issues a ticket wherever a mistake is made, is most loved by professionals.
Some applications/projects created on the Web2Py platform are Ajax Spreadsheets, BingApi
7. Pyramid: It is a highly adaptable framework used for mobile application development, written in Python. It works to create easy as well as complicated Python applications. Some of its features that are worth mentioning include prototype creation of applications, easing the API implementation in projects like RESTful APIs, mapping down URLs for coding. Its transverse framework is applaudable. Some tech giants like Dropbox, Mozilla, Yelp have used Pyramid in their various projects.
Some applications/projects created on the Pyramid platform are Kinto, AppEnlight, Cornice.
Useful Python Libraries for Application Development
We saw some application development frameworks in Python, now let us look at some libraries in Python that contribute to application development.
1. Python-for-Android: Well, Python-for-Android is a tool allowing Python to work with Android. Its main job is to create a folder for the project, including all essential tools to launch the mobile application. This folder includes various libraries, such as Pygame, SDL, KIVY, etc. It also has a Java loader, which is a sort of link between Kivy and other OS. Later you can add your scripts and compile the application using Android Native Development Kit (NDK).
2. PyJNIus: It is a sort of python framework that is giving tough competition to its Java counterpart. It designed to provide interaction between Python and Android APIs. You can also say that it’s more like an API, as by using this you can grab information about various parts of the mobile device including vibration, pause, restart, etc. However, it has a disadvantage in that it requires the user to have good knowledge of Android API and makes abundant codes.
3. Plyer: It was designed to solve the problem of PyJNIus. It aims to develop a simple Python interface including functions that can be found in modern mobile platforms. The codes created using Plyer can easily be executed on all supported platforms like OS X, Windows, Android, Linux, and iOS. However, for iOS, you can also consider PyOBJus.
Various Fields of Application Development using Python
Many applications can be created using the above-mentioned Python frameworks, that come under different categories based on their functions. Let us have a glance at these different categories.
1. Machine Learning Applications: You must have heard of creating Machine Learning models using Python algorithms, but the development of ML applications is also possible. ML data models are developed using Scikit and Pandas libraries of Python.
Once they have been created, we can embed these models in applications developed using Python app development frameworks. Also, Artificial Intelligence models/codes can also be implemented in Python applications. There is a lot of scope in this category as applications can be created to see the next future technologies. Example-: Netflix, Instagram
2. Gaming Application: This is one of the most in-demand fields of development today. Due to the hike in demands for games with great User Interface, Graphics, Animation the challenge for the game developers has increased manifold. Python provides such high-end libraries and third-party tools that can serve useful in creating high-performance games.
Pygame, a Python wrapper of SDL library is used for testing game prototypes, designed by the developers. Python is used for designing gaming tools like creating dialog trees and for level designing. Examples-: Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean, World of Tanks, Battlefield 2, EVE Online.
3. Business Applications: Python has always been known for its agility and its role in developing insights on ERP and E-Commerce Application Solutions. These apps can provide business intelligence features and assists in business analysis. These apps could help to manage the business and protect business-related data. Example-: Odoo, Tryton
4. Console/Command-line Applications: These applications are created with an aim to be directly accessed from the command line or shell. And they do not have any GUI. Python has a Read-Eval-Print-Loop feature, that enables developers to identify new opportunities and create new applications.
5. Audio/Video Applications: These are basically designed for entertainment purposes. You can create audio/video applications and apps for music. There are many python libraries like PyDub and OpenCV that can be used for the successful creation of audio/visual applications. They develop high performance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, we can develop apps using Python. Whether it is a mobile app or web app, by choosing suitable Python frameworks like Django, Flask, Kivy,etc we can develop an app of our choice in Python.
Yes, Python frameworks support the development of high-level, agile, cross-platform applications. There are many Python libraries and APIs that provide features like debugging and deployment of complicated codes and provides testing services.
Yes, we can use Python for Android App Development. There are some Python frameworks like Kivy, Flask, Django, Web2Py, etc that supports android app development.
Some of the popular apps created in Python are Airbnb, Instagram, Spotify, Uber, Disqus, Dropbox, Reddit, Pinterest and, many more.
So, now you know all the popular frameworks and libraries in Python, that can be used for creating Python applications.
Level Up In Your Career With Our Premium Courses | Enrol Now
Hence without worrying further about learning any new language and ditching your beloved Python, you can go on to develop mobile and web applications.
By Shivi Srivastava