Data science opportunities continue to be one of the top jobs in the United States and around the world. The field not only captivates young graduates and aspirants due to its handsome pay but also due to its high-end lifestyle. Companies are continuing to realize the importance of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) and that just means an upward trajectory in the postings and salaries of data scientists.
Whatever your background is, whether you are a data scientist or just an enthusiast, you can always upgrade your skill level. You need to keep sharpening your knowledge if you want to get into the field or improve your existing career in the domain. In this article, we will discuss some of the best data science books that can help you achieve just that.
Data Science in Brief
The evolution of data analysis, big data, and mathematical statistics has led to the emergence of data science. Notably, data science is a branch of study which uses several scientific algorithms, processes, and methods to extract insights from a wide array of data.
It analyses raw data and helps find hidden patterns in it. Data science is primarily used to make predictions and decisions based on prescriptive analytics, Machine Learning (ML), and predictive casual analytics.
It is best to read some data science books to get a better understanding of data science.
Why Data Science?
There are several reasons why data science has become a new trend in the market and is providing one of the hottest jobs of the 21st century. And, some of them are as follows:
1. Increased Demand: Data science has grown to provide one of the most in-demand jobs in the market. Every company, whether big or small, has learned now that it needs a data scientist to keep up with the industry and is looking for professional, qualified employees who can handle and manage its data.
According to statistics, this demand is only going to increase as there is still a dire shortage of data science professionals. This situation makes it very easy for graduates to land a job as a data scientist if they have the desired skills and required qualifications.
2. High Salary: The unbeaten salaries of data scientists are one of the most important factors that make it a desirable job for young professionals and graduates. The average annual pay of a data scientist in India is Rs 882,895, whereas the same in the U.S. is $96,501. The salary of a data scientist is much higher compared to other jobs and it is one of the highest-paid fields to get into.
3. Ever-evolving Field: Data science is evolving in all fields, from retail to medicine, education to transportation and health care to IT, every small or big business is now using data science for better production value and increased profits. Data scientists have thus become the trusted advisers and strategic partners to their companies as data is the most valuable asset that businesses now have.
As the domain keeps evolving and growing quickly, many fields are coming up within data science that is exciting and rewarding and offers a plethora of job opportunities. Some of these fields include artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), big data, blockchain, digital twins, edge computing, and serverless computing. One can easily enhance his/her knowledge about these fields through different data science books.
Read about Top 6 Data Science Projects for 2021.
Best Data Science Books
Here are some of the best data science books that you can read to develop your knowledge and enhance your expertise:
1. Data Science For Dummies by Lillian Pierson (Rs. 6,073)
This book by Lillian Pierson is one of the best data science books for students and IT professionals who want something that covers all the areas of data science extensively. It includes a wide range of topics like data science, data engineering, big data, and their interconnection to each other.
The book describes how the three areas combined have a great lot to offer. The book also covers technologies, mathematical methods, and programming languages which make it an all-in-one kind of deal.
2. Data Science From Scratch by Joel Grus (Rs. 3,102)
“Data Science from Scratch” is one of the best data science books and helps you understand both mathematics and statistics at the core of data science. The book also talks about the essential hacking skills to get started as a data scientist. Topics like Naive Bayes, decision trees, linear and logistic regression, clustering models, and k-nearest neighbours, network analysis, and natural language processing are explored in the book as well.
3. The Data Science Handbook by Field Cady (Rs. 3,212)
This book is one of the most ideal data science books for reference on big data software tools and data methodology. It is a very good start to practice and build the required skill set for data science. Apart from beginners, researchers and graduates can also find the book to be an ideal study material as it teaches real-world analytics which is very essential for them and can expand their skill set.
The basic principles of data science are explained in this book without giving any lengthy and theoretical details. The book provides you with real cases you can face while you collect, arrange, and analyse data. You can apply the R programming language while solving these problems.
You can use statistical analysis techniques too. The book covers a range of topics including design experiments built on predictive models. It explains examples based on BI, decision support system and marketing.
This is one of the important data science books as it guides you on what is important. It explains how to use several statistical methods and apply them to data science. If you have some knowledge of the R programming language and statistics, then this book will be an easy-to-understand reference guide for you.
This is a reference book that shows data scientists and amateurs how to tackle the common problems in data analysis and is full of various such case studies. It is one of the few data science books which covers pandas, NumPy, Jupyter, and IPython. It gives modern and practical information about data science tools in Python. By and large, the book is an ideal choice for both Python programmers and professionals new to the language.
This book goes a step ahead and teaches data analysts how to create a successful machine learning application using both Python and the sci-kit-learn library. The study material in this book also introduces the reader to Matplotlib and NumPy libraries.
Start learning Data Science & Machine Learning Course for free.
Frequently Asked Questions
Data science is one of the most in-demand jobs in the market in 2021. Due to a shortage of data science professionals and considering the essential, fragile, and important nature of data and its management, data scientist has become one of the most looked for qualifications in a candidate.
There are many artificial intelligence (AI) and data science books that one must read apart from the ones mentioned above. Some of them are:
1. Thinking With Data by Max Sharon (Rs. 2,110)
2. An Introduction to Statistical Learning by Gareth James, Daniela Witten, Trevor Hastie, and Robert Tibshira. (Rs. 695)
3. Hands-on Machine Learning by Aurélien Géron (Rs. 2,275)
4. AI and Machine Learning For Coders by Laurence Moroney (Rs. 3,821)
5. Data Science and Big Data Analytics: Discovering, Analysing, Visualising, and Presenting Data by EMC Education Service (Rs. 6,80)
6. Storytelling with Data: A Data Visualization Guide for Business Professionals by Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic (Rs. 2,220)
7. Big Data by Viktor Mayer-Schonberger and Kenneth Cukier (Rs. 1,157)
8. Designing Data-Intensive Applications by Martin Kleppmann (Rs. 1,600)
9. Data Science for Business by Foster Provost (Rs. 400)
10. Fundamentals of Data Visualisation by Claus O. Wilke (Rs. 1,325)
The chances of data science dying in the near future are nil. With advancements in technology in all the fields, every business and industry has started using data science to gain benefits from it. Notably, data science is still emerging and will continue as long as people and enterprises keep using data.
The average annual pay of a data scientist in India is Rs 882,895 and the U.S. is $96,501. This number can be used to determine that data scientists are worth a lot. They are an essential resource to companies which they will keep at any cost.
Although coding is mainly the job of data engineers and machine learning engineers, data scientists do code whenever necessary.
Data scientists need to work long hours in stressful environments to complete their projects. But, there are also many positives of being a data scientist which make up for the stressful part of the work, like high pay, high-end lifestyle and exciting work environment.
It completely depends on your knowledge and expertise. With just a few days of training, landing a good job can be tricky. But, if you have gained sufficient knowledge through online courses or by reading data science books, then you can bag a good opportunity after some professional experience.
Data scientists work full-time hours and they can even increase as much as 100 hours per week depending on the work.
Companies have identified that analytics and big data are some of the major growth drivers in the market. Analytics service offerings of companies are being expanded which in turn increases the demand for data scientists. And, due to the shortage of such professionals, they are paid high salaries.
Data science is emerging as the most sought-after field by graduates and prospective employers are looking to hire the best among them.
Level Up In Your Career With Our Premium Courses | Enrol Now.
Also, data scientists take up a herculean job, but it comes with its benefits as well. You can take up online courses on data science, machine learning, and artificial intelligence, but reading some data science books along with that will help you get a deeper and better grasp of the subject.