The choice of language to start with should depend on various aspects such as the interest of development (Web development, Android development, iOS development, system software), career prospect, utility and other personal preferences.
But to get to know a language before to jump to the conclusion is equally important. It gives you the bird’s eye view of the thing you will be diving in. At the end of this article, you will be able to decide which to choose and why?
It supports multiple programming paradigms like object-oriented programming, functional programming, imperative programming, and procedural programming. It has applications in almost all the different spectrums of the IT industry. It is widely popular as the first preference for data science. It is because of the great range of packages available for data manipulation, visualisation and pre-processing.
It can also be used for web development. People assume they can’t do software development with Python. It is a wrong assumption. To develop android applications using Python one needs to learn python frameworks like Kivy and BeeWare.
Let us see some of the features of Python:
- It is a high-level object-oriented programming language.
- It comes with REPL(Read-Eval-Print-Loop).
- It is easy to learn.
It has a collection of vast libraries. Libraries enable you to build better software with reusable code. It speeds up the development process and opens the door for innovation. Some of the top libraries are:
- Image processing
- Web development
- Pylons project
- Data Science
- Sci-kit Learn
There are two types of Python frameworks – Lightweight and Heavyweight frameworks. Heavyweight frameworks include all the libraries and tools developers required to create a full-fledged application. They mostly have well defined boilerplate code and the developer just has gaps to fill to make his app.
Some of the heavyweight frameworks are like Django, TurboGears, Web2Py, and more. Lightweight frameworks do not provide complete features and functionalities. Developers need to add certain specific libraries to create several features. It provides more flexibility and less boilerplate code to start with. Some of the lightweight frameworks are Flask, FastAPI and Cherrypy.
Python is also known as “batteries included programming language”.
- It supports both client-side and server-side.
- It is a cross-platform language.
- It is a scripting programming language.
Some of the popular frameworks that one should learn are – Vue.js, React.js, Angular, Node.js, Ember.js. Companies like PayPal, Netflix, eBay, Walmart, Facebook, Twitter and Google are rapidly adapting to the latest frameworks.
Trending on StackOverflow
Advantages of Python
- It is an open-source language, and available to developers to contribute to it.
- Easy to integrate with other programming languages.
- The syntax is pretty simple.
- Improves productivity because of its easy syntax.
- It is very popular. It is the heart of web development.
- It is a client-side programming language, which reduces the load on the server.
- It is faster.
- It is browser compatible and can load on almost all browsers.
Disadvantages of Python
- It is memory inefficient.
- It is not meant for mobile development because of its slow processing and memory efficiency.
- It is slower compared to other programming languages.
- It does not support networking applications.
- It is not secure, as anyone can see your code on the browser.
- It is a single-threaded language.
|It is an interpreted programming language.||It is an object-oriented programming language.|
|It uses a class-based inheritance model.||It uses a prototype-based inheritance model.|
|Python is a strongly typed language.||It is a weakly typed language.|
|Python is slow.||It is faster compared to Python.|
|It can be integrated with other programming languages like Java, C, etc.||It cannot be integrated with other programming languages.|
|The rating by TOBIE is 3||Its TOBIE rating is 7|
Differences based on key points
Python has limitations. You only need to learn the syntax of Python and the rest of the work is logic. It takes less time to master Python. If you are a beginner and want to learn any programming language fast, you can choose Python.
Packages and Package Manager: Package managers are the most used by developers to manage their dependencies in a project. They allow you to install and uninstall dependencies. Without the package, manager life becomes tough as you have to manage those dependencies and their placement in a project file manually and check the vulnerabilities.