Your college projects should be about exploring your interests and learning hands-on. By final year most students have found their calling, or at least figured out what do they wish to do for a few years after college. It could be getting a high-paying job and becoming independent, or getting a post-graduation. And your final year project should be a step in that direction.
A project could be on any subject that adds value or solves a problem. The project ideas should ideally be in sync with what you wish to do after college.
For example- If I am a mechanical engineering student looking forward to getting a master’s degree-Being a part of a core team and building a car hands-on would be very much in line. If I am a computer science student looking for a job in an IT company that develops apps, an app development project would be ideal. Following are some ideas on what could be your project options depending on your engineering specialization and interests.
Computer Science Project Ideas [Updated 2021]:
If you are looking for a job in the IT industry, then after having a strong grip on your core subjects like algorithms, data structures, operating systems, compilers, etc., you should do some development projects, depending on your personal interest or expertise domain of your dream company.
- Web App Development: An app is a quintessential part of most projects and companies. Say Uber, Zomato. So, building a web app would be a great add-on to your skillset as a developer. Along the way, you would get to learn the major technologies, frameworks, and languages- like Android, Angular-Node, React, Django et al.
- iOS Development: The demand for iOS Developers is spiking as Apple’s iPhone is becoming even swift and compact with the upcoming models. In Android Studio, you can build iOS compatible apps using Kotlin. Java is restricted to Android only. An iOS application is a really engaging project idea, you can use the programming language, swift for development. If you are determined and you want your project to stand out, you can go for cross-platform application development and build apps that are compatible with Mac, Windows and Android OS using robust platforms such as Google’s Flutter, ionic/Cordova, etc.
- Product rating system driven by sentiment analysis: You can develop an e-commerce web application, for creating a sentiment analysis-based system for product rating. The sentiment analyzer system can infer the abstract emotions of consumers from their feedback, comments, and product rating patterns. his system leverages a database of sentiment-based keywords, such as positivity or negativity weight. Whenever an app user comments on a specific product, the sentiment analysis system analyzes the keywords in the comment and starts comparing them with the keywords stored in the database. After analyzing the matches against the positive and negative keywords and sentiments, the system categorizes the product as good, bad, and very bad. This system can be used for product rating and ranking.
- Fingerprint-based ATM system: You can create a desktop application that uses fingerprints for user authentication. This method is even more secure than ATM pin, as two users may have the same ATM pin, but fingerprints are necessarily distinct, making this approach even more reliable. This even eliminates the need for carrying the ATM card for making transactions, simply fingerprint can be used for granting or revoking access during withdrawals and deposits. For using the fingerprint-based ATM system, users have to log on to their account with the help of their fingerprint. After success login, once they enter their distinct pin, they can perform all sorts of banking transactions, from withdrawing cash to online money transfer. Furthermore, users can even view their account balance and last five transactions.
- Advanced employee management system: Often big IT companies and organizations have an extended number of human resources working with them. In this scenario where there’s a huge number of human employees to manage, it becomes extremely challenging to analyze and coordinate the activities of each human resource efficiently. These companies require an advanced employee management system so that data related to the company’s human resources can be automated. You can create two major components – Admin and Employee. The Admin is an owner or manager of the company, he can access all the information, such as, leave management and payroll, and can also add and edit employee details. Analogously, employees can access the system for checking their leave status, view their salary details, yearly holiday list, and registering complaints or requesting leave. This project can be done as a Major Project.
- Bug tracker: The bug tracker helps in detecting and tracking bugs in software products or projects. The project should have three modules – Admin, Staff, and User. The Admin can use the app for entering the details of the project and staff members, viewing complaints of users, assigning tasks to the members, tracking bug resolution status, and sending messages to users. The staff members can use the app for viewing bug complaints allotted to them, such that they can start resolving them. In case a member is unable to fix a bug issue, it can be relayed to any other member. The users, they can use the allotted ticket number to track the progress status of their bug complaints and can view the solution plan for their issue. This helps in setting up a transparent and robust system.
- e-Learning platform: You can use cloud computing infrastructure for building a shareable e-learning platform for facilitating online learning. An e-learning platform backed by cloud computing technology allows independent Learning Management Systems (LMS) embedded e-Learning standards used to share their learning objects, modules, and content. Typically, cloud computing enables sharing of a wide chain of learning objects, enabling learners to access them online in an efficient way. The project can be created with a three-layer architecture to facilitate sharing learning modules, updating them, and interoperability among the various learning content efficiently. The middle layer of this architecture comes with an indexing module and a metadata transformation module for enabling the exchange of metadata between renowned e-Learning firms. Learners can easily avail these learning objectives without the need for affiliation from any other LMS.
- Smart health prediction system: An automated health prediction system can modify the way people take hold of their health and also connects them to the closest healthcare providers instantly. Many times patients face a lot of issues while accessing healthcare services because of numerous reasons. The smart health prediction system aims to eradicate this problem by assisting patients in receiving instant healthcare advice and guidance from online licensed medical practitioners. The smart health prediction application is a noteworthy software project idea. The system requires a dense volume of healthcare data, including symptoms and the related disease. Hence, whenever a user enters their medical problems and symptoms, the app exploits data mining for delving into the database and finding the most accurate correspondent disease/illness related to the entered symptoms. The app even provides information such as the contact details, timings, locations of the nearby health center facilities. You can run custom searches based on your requirement.
Electronics Projects Ideas [Updated 2021]:
Getting a job in a core electronics company like Intel, National Instruments, Texas Instruments, and the likes, or even if you are looking forward to higher studies doing good projects would add an extra tick to your profile.
Some examples of electronics projects would be the following:
- Smart Systems: Some projects could be home automation using Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, automatic street light control, traffic lights controller, water monitoring system, solar tracker etc.
- Health Monitoring Wearables: An example would be a handheld device for detecting common diseases like Malaria, Dengue by running a blood sample through the device.
- Robotics and Mechatronics: Some projects in robotics could be Surveillance robot, robotic arm, gesture-based robots, mobile controlled robots etc.
- Recognition Systems: Some examples could be a facial recognition system or fingerprint matching tool using signal/image processing using LabView/Matlab.
- VLSI: An example of VLSI project ideas could be pollution sensor, temperature sensor using FGPA.
Most of these projects can be done using microcontrollers like Arduino/Raspberry Pi. And
having a piece of working cool hardware that you built is a different feeling in itself! There
are many more projects you could do, these are just some broad categories.
Mechanical & Automotive Ideas:
If you are targeting a core design job in a core company like General Motors Honda, L&T, or higher studies in the Mechanical/Automotive domain, having experience of working on the common industry tools like CAD, SolidWorks, CATIA, Simulink, MATLAB would give you an edge. The initial projects could be designing and simulating parts of machine-like suspension systems or gear train assembly and later vehicle design. There is nothing better than being a part of an automotive (car/bike/trike) team and building the whole machine ground up!
As the industry is moving towards automation, mechatronics/robotics projects (listed in the electronic part above) and knowing basic coding would be an added advantage.
Civil & Environment Project Ideas [Updated 2021]:
Core corporate jobs in Civil and Environment are not a popular option in India. Most students from these branches go for non-tech jobs or MBA.
But, if you are among those interested in pursuing higher studies in environmental sciences or civil engineering, having experience with the common tools of this industry like Q-GIS, SketchUp, Revit, etc. would be helpful. You can do projects on 2D and 3D modeling of different structures and buildings. Seismic design, construction project management, tall building design, smart building design would be some hot ideas to work on.
If you wish to pursue higher studies in environmental engineering or wish to work in environmental agencies like state or central pollution control boards, you can go for research projects in pressing environment issues like eco-friendly fuels, pollution control strategies for cities, etc.
Environment engineering and Civil engineering are intertwined. A lot of real estates related projects can be done like construction waste, green buildings, wastewater treatment, environmental impact assessment.
Multidisciplinary Projects Ideas [Updated 2021]:
A good thing about most of these projects is that they are multidisciplinary. For example- If you are making an unmanned vehicle, you can use a mechanical engineer’s expertise for vehicle design, an electronics enthusiast for onboard components and circuitry, and a computer engineer for writing algorithms and the automation part.
And what’s more, you have all these people in the same building, your college. One more project idea would be a plan for an environment-friendly self-sustainable campus.
From making the master plan, buildings and structures, renewable energy usage, remotely controlled labs, and rooms, solar/hybrid powered vehicles, and everything you can think of- this project would bring together students across various interest areas and departments to work together and could be a legacy to their college and juniors.
Frequently Asked Questions
Web applications, gaming applications, smart systems, health monitoring devices, robots, recognition systems, sensors etc. are some of the good engineering projects one can take up.
The best part of being an engineer is problem solving. To get an idea for a project, the best way is to identify the issues that persist in the society and try to solve them.
To take up the best topic for your project, you should choose something with which you closely relate to, this way you will put in the maximum efforts and the project will be built in a great manner.
A final year project in engineering is the final test an engineer has to go through to gather hold of an engineering degree. It tests everything the student has learnt and offers a chance to the student to showcase his mettle and capabilities.
Hopefully, this article would have given you some clarity and ideas for your final year project.
Level Up In Your Career With Our Premium Courses
Make a project you will be proud of! And after you make them, we would love to hear about your ideas and projects.
Do share them with us!
By Vidhi Aggarwal