What is SQL?
Initially called SEQUEL (Structured English Query Language) and later renamed it due to brand trademark, it stands for Structured Query Language and was developed by Raymond Boyce and Donald Chamberlin at IBM in the early 1970s. The language was designed to get access and modify data held in databases. Today, SQL is an official standard for the ANSI (American National Standards Institute) and ISO (International Organisation for Standardisation).
It is an exceptional programming language that is utilised to interface with databases and works by understanding and analysing databases that include data fields in the tables. SQL is a platform that associates with front-end and back-end databases (computers and databases held on servers).
What Can SQL do?
- It can execute queries against a database
- It can retrieve data from a database
- It can insert records in a database
- It can update records in a database
- It can delete records from a database
- It can create new databases
- It can create new tables in a database
- It can create stored procedures in a database
- It can create views in a database
- It can set permissions on tables, procedures and views
Best 10 SQL Projects by GitHub
- Sequelize: It is a promise-based Node.js ORM for Postgres, MySQL, SQLite and Microsoft SQL Server. It features solid transaction support, relations, read replication and more.
- TiDB: It is an open-source distributed scalable Hybrid Transactional and Analytical Processing (HTAP) database. It features infinite horizontal scalability, strong consistency, and high availability. TiDB is MySQL compatible and serves as a one-stop data warehouse for both OLTP (Online Transactional Processing) and OLAP (Online Analytical Processing) workloads.
- KNEX: A query builder for PostgreSQL, MySQL and SQLite3, designed to be flexible, portable, and fun to use.
- Vitess: It is a database clustering system for horizontal scaling of MySQL through generalised sharing.
- mycli: A command-line client for MySQL that can do auto-completion and syntax highlighting.
- Go-MySQL-Driver: It is a MySQL driver for Go’s (golang) database/sql package.
- gh-ost: GitHub’s Online Schema Migrations for MySQL.
- DBeaver: Free multi-platform database tool for developers, SQL programmers, database administrators and analysts. Supports any database which has JDBC driver (which means — ANY database). EE version also supports non-JDBC data sources (WMI, MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis).
In-demand market job analysis:
Advantages of Learning SQL Structured Query Language
SQL had a colossal increment in utilisation during the most recent couple of years. Now, companies gather more and more information that has to be stored and comprehended afterwards.
- Open-Source – Easy to learn and use: It is an open-source programming language, so it has a large community of developers. Many topics that relate to SQL and MySQL are posted on StackOverflow consistently. It is comparatively easier to learn than other programming languages, for example, C++. Also, a considerable number of the prevalent databases that use SQL (MySQL, MariaDB and Postgres) are open-source.
- Manage Million Rows of Data: Traditional spreadsheets can be used to manage small-to-medium-sized sets of information, so we will require an alternate solution when managing such huge records. Gratefully, this is a field, in which SQL sparkles: regardless of whether it’s 1,000 records or 100 million, SQL is completely equipped to handle data pools of virtually all sizes.
- Technology Evolution: Database technologies like MySQL, Microsoft SQL, and PostgreSQL Server reinforce huge associations, small companies, banks, hospitals, colleges. Every PC or individual with access to some kind of mechanical device eventually touches SQL. It is even on your smartphone since Android and iOS both use SQL.
Companies are currently searching out those individuals who are skilled in SQL. It’s one thing to have the capacity to gain a high salary. However, employers know the worth that somebody, who is skilled in SQL, leads to their association and need to hire these people. Also, in case you want to change a job, learning SQL makes you a favourably sought after prospect.
To learn more about the projects in programming, click here.